A woman was punched repeatedly and choked in a late-night attack on Eastern Parkway.
The woman was walking home just before 12:25 a.m. on the north side of the street between Underhill and Washington, when a man punched her in the eye, knocking her to the ground.
He then put his knee on her neck and punched her repeatedly in the face, shouting “shut the [expletive] up or I will really hurt you. Give me your purse,” according to a police report.
The attacker then ran off without taking anything. The woman was taken to Kings County Hospital with a black eye and cuts and bruises on her head and right knee.
There have been 10 violent attacks reported in Prospect Heights over the summer. There is no indication they are done by the same person. In most, the victim is attacked before being asked for any property and in some no property was taken at all.
In July, a teen was charged with two of the attacks plus a non-violent gun-point hold up, but attacks have continued.
- On August 25, a 23-year-old man was beaten at the corner of Underhill Avenue and Bergen Street at 10:30 p.m.
- On August 23, a 34-year-old man was beaten and robbed in a late-night mugging on Eastern Parkway between Underhill and Washington in which three men kicked and punched the man after knocking him to the ground.
- On August 6, a 23-year-old woman was pulled to the ground and repeatedly punched in face on Grand Avenue near Pacific Street, before a resident called the cops;
Let Patch save you time. Get local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
- On August 4, a man was beaten and robbed by two attackers on Washington Avenue near Lincoln Place.
- On July 30, three muggers punched and kicked a 26-year-old man in the head during a robbery on St. Marks Avenue between Carlton and Flatbush.
- On July 14, a 23-year-old man was taken to Methodist Hospital after a man attacked him on Bergen Street between Washington and Underhill.
- On June 29, a group of men used a golf club to attack and rob a 23-year-old as he was riding his bike on Dean Street at Grand Avenue.
- On June 13, a gunman pistol whipped a man during a mugging of a couple Eastern Parkway between Vanderbilt and Underhill.
- On June 4, a 24-year-old man went to the hospital after someone attacked him with a padlock at the intersection of Washington Avenue and Bergen Street.
Residents can discuss crime with the head of the head of the 77th Precinct at the 77th Precinct Community Council Meeting, held the second Monday of the month at 7:30 p.m. Call the 77th Precinct community affairs office at (718) 735-0634 to find out each month's location.
Men or women wishing for a bicycle escort via the Brooklyn Bike Patrol can call 718-744-7592 between the hours of Sun.-Thurs., 8 p.m. to midnight, Fri.-Sat., 8 p.m. to 3:30 a.m.
Update: On Sept. 20 at 4:42 p.m., Councilwoman Letitia James released a statement calling on the 77th Precinct to "secure the Underhill Avenue and Washington Avenue blocks spanning Bergen Street and Eastern Parkway."
“It is imperative that the 77th Precinct move to address this rash of violent attacks through placing additional police presence in the nexus of these where these crimes are taking place. It is incredibly fortunate that someone has not been more seriously injured over the summer,” she wrote.
Anyone with information on any of these attacks are asked to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips on the Crime Stoppers' website or by texting their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.