1. You need books! Two Brooklyn Bookend Events are taking place in Prosepct Heights today: Fashion Illustration: The Look Book with a fashion show and author readings at the Central Library between 1 and 6 p.m. and The Comics Crowd, readings by a slew of contemporary comic book writers at Bergen Street Comics, 470 Bergen St., at 8 p.m. See details for both events here.
2. You need music. Another all-star evening at The Way Station with a farewell NYC concert followed by pretty, haunting music at "Bye for Now" - Steve Lewis & Tomi Peirano + Kotorino @ The Way Station.
2.5 You need Americana. Tonight there's also Leland Sundries followed by The Great & Funky Lou Mass at Branded Saloon.
3. You need to get the kids out of the house. Head to the P.S. 9 Bounce-Back-To-School Fall Carnival with bounce houses, games, a DJ dance party, face painting and a barbecue and bake sale. The annual fundraiser benefits art and academic programs at the school. 80 Underhill Ave. at St. Marks, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. $4 for adults and $2 for children to enter (first bounce is free).
4. You need to know if your train is running ... It is! There are no subway changes affecting Prospect Heights stations today, according to the MTA.
5. ... and if you have to move your car. Not today of course, but grab a Tues/Fri spot if you can, because the next alternate side suspensions are Wed., Sept. 26 for Yom Kippur (which doesn't help us) followed by Mon/Tues Oct. 1-2 for Succoth, according to the NYCDOT.