A gun-wielding mugger stuck up a husband and wife while they were walking along Bergen Street, demanded their wallets, electronics, and then fled on a bike on Jan. 5, officials from the 78th Precinct said.
According to the police report, the victims, a couple in their 30s, told police that they were walking along Bergen Street when at around 9:45 p.m. a man approached them at the corner of Carlton Avenue, pulled out a black gun and demanded their wallets.
The crook, described as a 20-year-old black man, standing about 5-foot-7 and weighing about 160 lbs., also demanded the man’s pin number for his ATM card, but the victim gave a fake number. The crook then hopped on a bike that was leaning against a nearby car and drove away.
The gun-toting criminal stole the couples’ debit and credit cards, a cellphone, an e-reader, and $70 in cash. The victims believe they can identify the crook by picture.
One of the victims, a man who has lived in New York City for 25 years, wrote in an e-mail to Patch that the attack occurred about one block from the 78th Precinct and half a block from Vanderbilt Avenue, where he “could see people walking to bars.”
“This wasn't some god-forsaken hour in the morning. It was 9 p.m. on a Saturday night,” the victim wrote. “I think what was most disturbing was not being shaken down, or threatened, but the casual nature that this individual aimed the gun at us—as revelers were milling about not far from where we were.”
There have been at least seven gunpoint robberies in the area over the past year:
- A 30-year-old man was robbed by a gunman on Classon Avenue near St. Johns Place just after 5 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 3.
- On Nov. 21, a 21-year-old man was mugged at gunpoint on Washington Avenue near Lincoln Place at about 1 a.m.
- On Oct. 1, a man was robbed at gunpoint on Classon Avenue.
- On June 13, a gunman pistol whipped a man during a mugging of a couple Eastern Parkway between Vanderbilt and Underhill.
- On May 4, a 30-year-old man was held up by a gun-wielding thief on St. Johns Place between Underhill and Washington.
- On Feb. 28 a gun-wielding man stole iPhones from women as they walked near the corner of Underhill and St. Marks avenues. last week.
In addition, there have been three violent muggings at the Franklin Avenue Station in November alone and at least 11 violent attacks reported in Prospect Heights and the western edge of Crown Heights since June.
Let Patch save you time. Get local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
Residents can discuss crime with the head of the head of the 77th Precinct at the 77th Precinct Community Council Meeting, held the second Monday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at rotating locations. January's meeting is at Wesleyan Methodist Church, 1024 Bergen St. bet. Rogers and Nostrand.
Men or women wishing for a bicycle escort via the Brooklyn Bike Patrol can call 718-744-7592 between the hours of Sun.-Thurs., 8 p.m. to midnight, Fri.-Sat., 8 p.m. to 3:30 a.m.