1. Watch the Super Bowl. If you want to do it in good company, here's a list of Prospect Heights bars showing Super Bowl 2013.
2. Don't watch the Super Bowl. If men running around a field is not your thing. Head to our favorite nerd bar for a screening of Shaun of the Dead (one of PHP's personal favorites) at 5 p.m. followed by Nerd Cabaret at 8. The Way Station, 683 Washington Ave. bet. Prospect and St. Marks, $5 suggested donation to the performers.
3. Embrace the cold. Now that winter's finally come, enjoy it at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden's "Illuminated" celebration, with events that include a pop-up winter lodge for families on Saturday, a pop-up "journey to Sweden and the outdoors" on Sunday and a "Mitten Lodge" with mulled wine, hot chocolate and pepparkakor cookies. Today is the last day of the two-weekend event, so don't miss it.
4. Jump into Black History Month. All month you can participate in the inaugural “Black Artstory Month” as it celebrates the talents, creativity and legacy of contemporary African American artists in Fort Greene with a series of "art exhibitions, film screenings, lectures, performances and hands-on art making activities," throughout the month of February. The festival will take place along Myrtle Avenue in the Fort Greene section of Brooklyn at various locations. See the link for more details.
5. Get the kids out of the house. Head to the 15th Annual BAMKids Film Festival! This year’s lineup, tailored for children ages 2-10, showcases a total of 76 films from 24 countries. Highlights include an all-animation program for ages 7-9, six international features, and two short film programs for ages 2-5. BAM Rose Cinema, 30 Lafayette Ave.
5.5 Move the car. Alternate side parking rules are in effect today and tomorrow. The next suspension is Sun., Feb. 10 for the Asian Lunar New Year.