1. Embrace your dream. Learn how to get your film off the computer and onto the camera with the Local Film Maker Series: How to Make a Low Budget Film @ The Way Station on Saturday. 3 p.m. Free.
2. Embrace the cold. Now that winter's finally come, enjoy it full throttle at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden's "Illuminated" celebration all weekend, with events that include a pop-up winter lodge for families on Saturday, a pop-up "journey to Sweden and the outdoors" on Sunday and a "Mitten Lodge" with mulled wine, hot chocolate and pepparkakor cookies all weekend.
3. Enjoy Americana. Hit the dance floor tonight at The Way Station where there's Ruby Rae + Dogbottom Boys. The former plays rock’n’roll/honky-tonk and the latter, "good old fashioned American music." Show starts at 8 p.m.
4. Expand your musical palate. Head to Elberta for the first of its brand-new World Music Wednesdays. Tonight Reggae artist Michel Aubertin performs. Show starts at 7 p.m.
5. Move the car. Alternate side parking rules are in effect today. The next suspension is Sun., Feb. 10 for the Asian Lunar New Year.