1. Help victims of Hurricane Sandy. Here's an up-to-date list of shelters that need volunteers over the weekend, items that are needed, and local donation drop-off points. We have no drop off points in Prospect Heights, so if you are collecting items this weekend, add it in the comments.
2. Support P.S. 9. They are having a Silent Auction tonight to support their arts programs. Even if you don't bid, the $35 ticket will go a long way.
3. Form a community. A very interesting idea: The folks at Little Zelda are opening a not-for-profit "clubhouse" for families with kids 0-4. Basically a second home where you can hang out with other parents and kids. There's an open house today, 10-5 at 721 Franklin Ave.
4. Go to the park. Parks and playgrounds are finally re-opening today at 8 a.m.
5. Get to Manhattan. Subways are no longer free, but the shuttle buses from the Barclays Center are. Also, if you have the cash, try taking the LIRR, which, depending on the connections, can take less than an hour.
6. Move your car (if you have the gas). Sadly, alternate side is back in effect Monday, but is suspended Tuesday for Election Day. If you want to try to get gas, try our Post-Sandy Fuel Finder.